Friday, July 9, 2010

Days 10 and 11...wrapping up our crazy week.

Yesterday we did minimal work in the garden. It was the day to actually teach the math and sciences behind the garden and composting. Sometimes i is better to "do" and "teach" later...sometimes it's the opposite. We gave the kids all the necessary info they needed to understand the importance of what they did and all the resources they would need to understand the basics of producers, consumers, and decomposers and how we are ensuring the cycle continues.

We also had a brief reflection session in our new outdoor classroom where John and I talked about the importance of appreciations...looking directly at someone and appreciating their hard work that benefited the group. Some of what the kids were saying really put tears in my eyes. The boys were so open and honest about how they feel a new connection to the school community and the idea tat working together is important. They also commented on how proud they were of each other while working together in the garden.

Today we had the exhibition day. All the workshops come to an end and presented their final products. Pam really blew me away with her poems. She had the kids read "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou and it was beautiful. She also had the kids write their own poems and again...tears...I have become a sap in the last few days. Pam's kids were reciting their own poems with the music group in the background playing their homemade instruments quiet enough that you could still here the poets. One girl had an amazing poem about how unity in her weapon and division will be destroyed. Another girl had a line saying, "The leopard had many spots, and was told to change it's spots to be like the others. The leopard kept its spots because it is South African." These kids take real pride in being South African. I love that they wear their emotions on their sleeves.

At lunch today, one of the students Tshepo, the MC and comedian had the kids start lunch by singing the school song. It was beautiful that all the kids didn't hesitate and danced along with their singing. It was beautiful and I wish you all could have been here to hear it. Tshepo then let everyone in a prayer which was beautiful too. All the kids recited together and it seemed like I was swimming in the midst of a beautiful choir. I'm not into mixing church and state, but it works here and I think Americans can't handle both at the same time.

There were a couple plays about recycling that were hysterical. he kids were coached by a few professional actors but wrote and preformed the play entirely alone in 4days! It was an amazing experience to see what these kids can do in 4 days. i was so beside myself all day at all the amazing work that came to be and made me really proud of doing what I do.

1 comment:

  1. Wow marc! I appreciate you and John and Pam and the amazing work you are doing with kids. Larry forwarded me your blog and your reflections and questions about the culture, the kids, the pride, the seeming contradictions are fascinating and insightful. Keep writing! You make me want to be there!
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete